Residential design is a major service provided by Clausen Engineers. Clausen Engineers mass produced structural designs for apartment Buildings in the 1960s and 1970s during the apartment boom. Clausen Engineers surveyed over 500 residences after the Loma Prieta and Northridge earthquakes. Clausen Engineers is currently designing “soft story” retrofits for many apartment buildings in the East Bay in response to seismic ordinances that have been adopted by several Cities.
During the past 25 years, Clausen Engineers has focused on structural design for custom homes constructed of many different materials. Clausen’s work spans from new homes to small home remodeling projects. Many of these projects require innovative design to resist lateral loads.
Residential work includes design from multi-million dollar residences to small single room or deck addition projects. No project is too small for Clausen Engineers.
Successful home design has been completed for residences in California, Washington and Montana.
Clausen Engineers exhibits yearly in the Port Angeles Home Show in Washington.
Some Innovative structures Clausen has designed include:
- Japanese style homes in Danville and Tiburon, CA
- An elevated house built on a River Flood Plain in the Washington rain forest,
- A sod roof residence built into the hillside in Sunol, CA
- A western framed log cabin in Bonner, MT
- A unique pole Barn built in Sequim, WA
- Several elegant residences above the Napa Valley
- An innovative rebuild of a residence after the San Diego fires
- Many waterfront homes (see Waterfront Residential)
- Complete rebuild of residence at Bell Marin Keyes, Novato, CA
- Conversion of a two story residence to a four story residence, featured in the New York Times
- 6,000 SF addition to an existing residence in Piedmont, CA